Jim Cooperman’s latest post is This Shuswap town was once a French enclave (Dec. 6 2013).
Check out the full version of Jim’s most interesting read.
Although the Lumby area is most often considered to be part of the North Okanagan, it is actually in the Shuswap watershed, as Bessette Creek flows through the town before it enters the Shuswap River. The first settlers came from Quebec in the 1870s and named the area White Valley after George LeBlanc who built a four-room cabin in 1874. The first one to pre-empt land was Mr. Bessette, who arrived via the Okanagan trail before 1874.
At that time there was no town of Vernon, so all the supplies had to come from Kamloops.