Check out the full version of Jim’s post on Farrell’s Field (Dec 7 2014) .
Little is known about William Farrell, the Welch immigrant who homesteaded the quarter section (160 acres) back in 1918. The remains of his buildings can apparently still be found on Leopold Road. At some point in time, the property was divided and one story claims he donated the land to the community, while another explains that the property reverted to the crown because the taxes were not paid. We may never know the truth, but regardless the land is listed legally as park reserve, and for two decades beginning in the mid-1970s, it was under the management of the community association.
*Image used with standing permission