Love-Your-Trails Month continues in the Shuswap!
Huge thanks to everyone helping to clean up trail throughout the Shuswap. Incredible! Be sure to check out the Big Blitz out at South Canoe this weekend. Visit the events calendar at www.shuswaptrails.com for details on times and locations)
- April 25 – South Canoe: work to complete ‘Horsing Around’ loop if not already finished. Also: work on Troll Bridge trail, brushing, tread-building etc on trails not yet done
- April 26 – South Canoe: big volunteer day, with team leaders – BBQ lunch hosted by Skookum Cycle
- Also: May 4, 11, 25 – Rubberhead Trail Clean-up Evenings (6:30 pm)
Or grab some friends for a walk and help stick flick, conduct a trail inspection (see inspection forms online), and move blow down from the trails.
There is a useful link to obtain information about how to brush and clear trails online. Technique is important and safety for users a must. For a short slide set, go to www.shuswaptrailalliance.com/volunteer.php
And don’t forget to send trail issues and reports to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love-Your-Trails and Build-a-Metre – support 2015 trail projects
– $10, $20, $50, $100. . .every little bit helps. Please donate by May 30th. Help build more trails, become a Trail Blazer. Donate online at www.shuswaptrails.com, or drop off contrubtions at G-Force (Chase), Sutherlands Bakery (Enderby), Skookum Cycle & Ski (Salmon Arm), Eagle Valley IDA (Sicamous), Sorrento Prescription IDA (Sorrento). All donations are tax deductible and go directly to building and maintaining trails throughout the Shuswap.
Trail Orientation Days:
Guided hikes by Carmen Massey. The Hike series is a partnership of the Shuswap Trail Alliance and the NSSCRA (North and South Shuswap Children’s Recreation Association). This three day hiking series is for families and individuals in the South Shuswap area. Learn the basics of hiking with a group, learn more about the trail system throughout the Shuswap, find out how to get more involved in trail care as a volunteer, enjoy a day out with friends and neighbours on our world-class trail system.
1) Mt Baldy Lookout: Saturday, April 25 at 10:00 am. 3 hour hike
Meet at the Mt Baldy trailhead, east side of the Cul-de-Sac accross the railway tracks on Elson Road (just past Crannog Ales), just west of Sorrento.
2) McArthur Heights to Balmoral: Saturday, May 9 at 10:00 am. 4 hour hike
Meet at the Balmoral Parking area, 3 km north of Hwy 1 at Balmoral store, on Blind Bay road. We will shuttle up to the McArthur Heights parking area from there.
Be sure to bring a large lunch! This hike will extend well over the mid-day, including shuttling vehicles at both ends.
3) White Lake Lookout: Saturday, May 30 at 10:00 am. 2 hour hike
Meet at the John Evdokimoff Bike Park in White Lake
Wild Soles fun spring trail races are back (Monday evenings) featuring Shuswap Trails:
- April 27 at Park Hill
- May 4 at South Canoe
- May 11 at Eagle River nature trails
Registration is open on zone4.ca Limited on-site registration will take place at each event between 5 and 5:30 pm. The 2 kilometre race starts at 5:45 pm and the 5 km starts at 6 pm.
Larch Hills Nordic Society Extraoridnary General Meeting – Tuesday, April 28, 7 pm(Room 1, Salmon Arm Recreation Centre, Salmon Arm) – to facilitate discussion and clarification of the LHNS Strategic plan report, anddiscuss what are the next steps in moving forward with the vision of membership. www.skilarchhills.ca
May is Shuswap Bike Month – check out http://shuswapbike.com/ for the event schedule. And don’t miss the Salty Street Festival, May 9th, on Hudson Street, Salmon Arm. And of course, the Salty Dog 6 Hour Enduro hits the South Canoe trails the next day, May 10th.
Hike for Hospice – Enderby Cliffs – Sunday, May 3, 2015. Meet 8 am in the Parking Lot of Enderby IGA. Time of Departure 8:30 am. More info at http://www.shuswaphospice.ca/hike-the-enderby-cliffs/
Plus – 2nd Annual Teedy Bear Hospital & Community Health Fair – May 2, 11 – 3 pm, at Save-On-Foods at Picadilly Mall, Salmon Arm. Info at www.shuswaphospice.ca
Looking Close: check out Sky Steven’s latest invitation to get outside and Looking Close with a new Saturday morning series starting April 18 to May 16 (9:15-10:00 am New Stewards Program for kids 3-6 years, and 10:30-Noon Explorer Program for kids 7-9 years.) More info at email@example.com
Accessible Trails for Everyone: Book the TrailRider – two Trail Riders are available for booking out to use on trails throughout the Shuswap (minimal donation of $10). They’re a great way to get out on trails with friends who need mobility assistance. Visit: http://shuswaptrailrider.com/