Aim High’s intent is to extend the political discourse by having our local politicos respond to questions from the readership.
All four major candidates have agreed to do that! A big thanks to them for engaging the electorate in this way.
In alphabetical order, the candidates are Mel Arnold (CP), Cindy Derkaz (LP), Chris George (GP) and Jacqui Gingras (NDP). I’ll also include any independent candidates who may register with Elections Canada.
The faster that you get your burning question in to Aim High, the sooner that it goes into the hopper and out to the candidates. I’m hoping to have the first responses online prior to Labour Day but that all depends on the readership.
Submit your question via the Contact form here.
Aim High will collate your questions and submit one or two of them weekly for responses from the candidates.
Here are the straight-forward criteria:
- Your question must be geared to all of the candidates and not just for one of them.
- Your personal information won’t be linked in any way to the actual questions submitted to the candidates or in Aim High’s blog postings.
- However, you do need to include your name and a contact number when you submit your question to Aim High so that I can verify that you are a resident of the riding and …. a real person. I’ll do that by personally contacting you.
- Aim High neither collates nor distributes personal information of its readership. Period.
- Commenting on the responses is encouraged. All comments will be moderated for civil language. Aim High’s general Commenting policy is here.
Web contact information for the declared North Okanagan-Shuswap candidates is available here.
Here’s how the overall process will work:
- Readers submit questions for the candidates – Aim High collates them and forwards selected questions to the candidates on a weekly basis
- The candidates are given a week’s lead time (approximately) to submit their responses.
- All responses by the candidates will then be posted exactly as submitted – after the set deadline – in the order that they were received.
- Given a number of questions on the same topic, a composite question will be crafted (and identified as such).
- Given too many questions being submitted, you’re just going to have to trust me to rank order them as best as I can based on my perception of relevancy and balance. I’ll update readers on the stockpile of ready-to-go questions waiting in the hopper.
Aim High ran a very successful version of this Q&A with local candidates during the 2013 Provincial election. See Questions & Responses – Provincial Election Shuswap Candidates for a flavour of what is possible.
Please use the Comments section or the Contact Form if you have any questions.
Plus, please pass this on to friends and family – especially in the many reaches of our riding.This is a real opportunity for all of us to benefit from a wide political discourse.
This post will stick to the top of the front page for a while for it to be more visible. Check below this for more recent posts.
On your marks ……
Updated September 25th) : There’s no room left for questions. Thanks for all of the wonderful ones already sent in.